The Generalized Motor Program Theory (GMP) or Schema Theory and the Dynamical Systems Theory are the predominant behavior theories that address how the nervous system produces a movement. The debate of movement scientist and the contrasts of these theories centers on whether movement is created through hierarchical control in the nervous system (i.e., cortical control) or if movement control is distributed throughout cortical, subcortical, spinal, and even musculoskeletal levels of the nervous system. While compromise between these two theories may be possible, each theory has its respective adamant supporters who will argue for the support of one over the other. In this assignment, you will evaluate these theories to determine which theory you believe is the more plausible explanation.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
· This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
Write an essay of 1,250-1,500 words in which you evaluate the General Motor Program Theory (GMP) and the Dynamical Systems Theory. In your essay, do the following:
1. Compare and contrast the GMP and the Dynamical Systems theories.
2. Provide empirical support for both of these theoretical perspectives.
3. Provide a rationale for subscribing to one theory over the other.
1. Read chapters 6 and 7.
2. Sozzi, S., Monti, A., De Nunzio, A., Do, M., & Schieppati, M. (2011). Sensori-motor integration during stance: Time adaptation of control mechanisms on adding or removing vision. Human Movement Science, 30(2), 172-189.
3. Schneider, S., Askew, C. D., Abel, T., & Strüder, H. K. (2010). Exercise, music, and the brain: Is there a central pattern generator? Journal of Sports Sciences, 28(12), 1337-1343.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.