Midterm Case Study: Motivating Employees
Imagine that you have been appointed the Director of Health at
the Kaluyu Memorial Hospital in Nairobi, Kenya – a for-profit
hospital. The facility is also a referral hospital and receives
severe cases of accidents, chronicle / communicable diseases and
houses an HIV / AIDS ward. As you settle into your position, you
realize that the employees always act scared as they approach their
superiors. Some of the employees even deliver files and leave your
office in a hurry.
As you make your routine departmental visits, you realize that
there are tensions between nurses and doctors, and there is a
sentiment that the nurses tend to do the majority of the work
within patient care but the doctors get all the credit. You realize
that the employees are always looking forward to the end of their
shifts to go home. Some employees even come back to work wearing
the same unwashed clothes as the previous day. Too many employees
are calling in sick, and many of them give weak reasons for their
There is also a sense that employees and nurses dominate other
employees in similar positions. In meetings and conference calls
some employees are always quiet and never participate. You notice
that people with families tend to gather and talk quietly on
breaks. The new mothers working for the hospital have to use
bathrooms to pump breast milk for their infants and the
refrigerators do not work well. Looking at the financial statements
of the hospital, you realize that the hospital expenses are higher
than the industry standard, and it makes losses year after year.
Note: You may create and / or make all necessary
assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Investigate the major demotivational factors at Kaluyu Memorial Hospital. Assess the level of impact that the identified factors could have on specific areas of service and business if the administration does not address the situation. Support your response with at least two (2) examples of the potential negative impact of the identified demotivational factors on the hospital.
- Choose Maslow’s, Herzberg’s, or McClelland’s model of motivation, and argue the primary reasons why it is applicable to the Kaluyu Memorial Hospital scenario.
- Formulate a communication system that will have the greatest impact on improving the situation, and specify the major reasons why your system will influence the employee behaviors for the better. Justify your response.
- Use four (4) recent (within the last five  years) quality
academic resources in this assignment.
Note: Wikipedia and other websites do not qualify as quality academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.